Question: Can A Wet Basement Make You Sick?

How do you know if mold is making you sick?

Spahr.

Symptoms of mold exposure may include headache, sore throat, runny nose, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes and fatigue.

In those with asthma, asthma attacks can occur.

In those with impaired immune systems, serious infection can occur..

How can you tell if your basement has water damage?

Signs of Water Damage in BasementsMold Growth. Mold damage in basement. … Musty Odors. When mold develops, it may give off a musty odor. … Cracks. If you notice that your basement’s foundation, walls, or floor has cracks, this is a cause for concern. … Deteriorating Materials. … Stains and Discoloration. … Sinking Floors.

How do you treat mold sickness?

These include:Nasal corticosteroids. These nasal sprays help prevent and treat the inflammation caused by an upper respiratory mold allergy. … Antihistamines. These medications can help with itching, sneezing and runny nose. … Oral decongestants. … Decongestant nasal sprays. … Montelukast.

How much does it cost to fix a leaking basement?

The average homeowner spends around $4,461 to seal a basement or foundation, with minor repairs costing as little as $600. More comprehensive issues that include fixing cracks in the foundation or adding drains & gutters can cost upwards of $10,000.

How do you dry out a flooded basement?

Steps to Take After a Basement FloodTurn off the electricity. … Rent a gasoline-powered water pump. … Figure out the source of the problem. … Remove all wet and waterlogged items. … Use a wet-dry vacuum to pull up remaining water. … Get air flowing through the area. … Turn on the dehumidifier. … Get the water out of your basement.More items…

Why does my basement leak when it rains?

The most common causes of basement leaks is pressure created by water in the soil surrounding the foundation. … During periods of heavy or persistent rain, the soil can become saturated, creating hydrostatic pressure (or water pressure) that can push moisture and water through your basement walls and floor.

Can a damp basement cause health problems?

Whether the basement is a finished living space, unfinished and used for storage, or simply a crawl space, excessive moisture canlead to mold, mildew, or other biological growth that may cause a variety of health issues. … In more severe cases, conditions can lead to rot and structural damage.

Can you fix a wet basement?

Not only does a wet basement feel and smell nasty, it poses a great risk to your home’s value. Left unchecked, basement moisture can ruin floors and walls, encourage mold, even damage roofing. Some wet basements are easy to cure simply by clearing gutters and by diverting gutter water away from the foundation.

Can living in damp make you ill?

Yes, if you have damp and mould in your home you’re more likely to have respiratory problems, respiratory infections, allergies or asthma. Damp and mould can also affect the immune system.

Can salt damp make you sick?

Airborne mold concentrations have the potential to be inhaled and can have health effects. Externally, mortar may crumble and salt stains may appear on the walls. Steel and iron fasteners rust. It may also cause a poor indoor air quality and respiratory illness in occupants.

How long does it take for mold to get out of your system?

As you kill the mold and there are less organisms in your body, you will start to feel better. It took my husband six months to become free and clear of mold while it took me a year and a half.

Can mold grow in your lungs?

The mold spores can colonize (grow) inside lung cavities that developed as a result of chronic diseases, such tuberculosis, emphysema, or advanced sarcoidosis. The fibers of fungus might form a lump by combining with white blood cells and blood clots. This lump or ball of fungus is called an aspergilloma or mycetoma.